Q: Car shakes at 60 mph and over

asked by on August 10, 2016

When I'm driving at the speed around 60 mph and over, my car begins to shake. If I try to increase the speed, there is no shaking though. It happens while cruising. Also, it is noticeable when I let go off the throttle. The vehicle has 20'' chrome wheels and new tires, which have been load balanced. I had the alignment checked as well. What else can I check?

In this case, you may need to have the wheels balanced on the vehicle if the tires have already been road force balanced. While tire balancing will result in a balanced tire and wheel assembly, it does not balance the tire and wheel with the hub and rotating assembly. A 20-inch wheel is heavy, which will exaggerate any rotating assembly imbalance. Not every tire store does this type of work on the car balancing, so you would have to peruse the area to find one. Also make sure the rim assemblies are not bent. If you would like to have an independent technician come to the site of the car, a local expert from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your vehicle’s shaking issue.