Q: Car overheating. Is that typically the thermostat or water pump?

After driving for about 20 mins or so, car will begin to overheat. Not sure if this issue is caused by the thermostat or water pump. Is there a way to pinpoint the problem My car has an automatic transmission with ~113k miles

Hi there - yes, there are a few ways to diagnose which component is failing. If hot coolant is circulating through the radiator (after the warmup), and the engine is running hot, either the radiator is clogged (internally or externally), the electric cooling fan is not coming on when it should (bad thermal switch), or the water pump is not circulating coolant as it should. Thermostat failures are usually stuck shut (instant overheating), or stuck open (engine won’t come up to operating temp). I would recommend having a Car Is Overheating Inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose which of these components is this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Car overheating. Is that typically the thermostat or water pump?