Q: car only cranks will not start. 2001 Mitsubishi Galant

The other day my car has been driving fine with no problems, the next day I went to start it to go to work and it would not fire, it would only crank. car has new plugs, wires, gaskets, oil, antifreeze, half tank of gas, getting spark, new battery, new alternator, new starter. could the fuel pump just die instantly like that?

Hi there - yes, the fuel pump can fail that quickly. It’s also possible that the fuse or fuel pump relay have failed, yielding the same result. You can confirm that this is a fuel supply issue by spritzing a bit of starter fluid into the air intake, then attempting to start the engine. If it starts momentarily, then dies, you have confirmed a fuel issue. For further assistance in diagnosing this problem, I would recommend a fuel system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.