Is My Fuel Pump Working? fuel fuel pumps fuel system

Q: Is My Fuel Pump Working?

asked by on November 23, 2015

Is my fuel pump working?

If your engine starts and runs, then the answer is: "Yes, your fuel pump is working."

But what if your engine doesn’t start and run? Is your fuel pump working then? This is actually one of the first things that drivability technicians look at when diagnosing a vehicle no-start.

On fuel-injected vehicles, checking for fuel pump operation requires several checks.

First, when you turn the ignition key to the “ON” position, can you hear the fuel pump operate inside the fuel tank? If the answer is yes, then how much fuel pressure is it generating? This is done by attaching a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail on the engine. If the answer is no, then why not?

Is there a blown fuse, a bad relay, or a bad electrical connection somewhere? Answering these questions takes more time and further diagnosis.

If the cause of a non-functioning fuel pump is actually the fuel pump, contact a professional mechanic who can replace that fuel pump for you. You don’t come to us; we come to you.