Q: Car only cranking when gas pedal pumped

My car only cranks when I pump the gas pedal. Even then, it does not want to start, and it takes a few tries to get it started. Once started, it shakes and sometimes I can hear a bump at the end of my car.

The first thing that causes this particular engine to run rough is the ignition coil and usually will start to fail around 75,000 miles. The secondary winding in the coil will fail and not provide enough voltage to get a good spark in the cylinders, hence the rough running engine. I would recommend having a technician from YourMechanic to come out and check the engine for codes and replace the ignition coil, if needed.

3. Car only cranking when gas pedal pumped