Q: Car not moving in any gear

asked by on February 27, 2017

Well driving on the freeway car suddenly shut off when I restarted it and put in gear it does not move at all I hear what I can only describe as sounds like paper flapping in the Wind it shifts into all gears but does not drive I recently just did a tune-up and there was no indications of the transmission slipping

Hello, and thank you for writing in. Unfortunately this is a classic sign that the transmission has failed. They fail for various reasons including mechanical failures, pressure issues, or leaks. The transmission oil needs to be drained, and meanwhile you should inspect the bottom of the transmission visible when you remove the trans-oil pan. If the transmission fluid is low, dirty, or there are signs of metal in the pan, then you will want to dig further into the transmission. The automatic transmissions on this make and model are notorious for failing, and we need to see how bad the damage is before taking corrective action. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.