Q: I am planning to buy a 2011 BMW 328i with 80k miles, 1 owner and automatic transmission. How much should I pay for it?

asked by on February 09, 2018

Hi, I am planning to buy an used 2011 BMW 328i. It has a single owner and has around 80k miles. The carfax report is clean. Owner is asking for $11000 for the car. Is it a good price? How much maintenance is required for this car going forward and how costly will that be? Is there any known issue with this particular year/model of BMW or anything else which I should be aware of before I decide to buy?

I would suggest checking the Kelly Blue Book website with specifics related to your zip code as market prices of cars vary by zip code. This will give you a baseline for determining whether or not the car is within a general range of the asking price. Secondly, as you know, with any car the life expectancy of it depends largely on the maintenance schedule the owner has maintained, the driving conditions it is subjected to, the driving habits of the owner and many other factors. Often times when a car has had internal damage or even slight cosmetic damage, it may be difficult to tell without looking closely or performing an in depth inspection. As with any vehicle, proper maintenance schedules are a key factor to prolonging the longevity of the vehicle and avoiding unnecessary costly repair bills due to neglecting proper maintenance intervals. You may also want to contact the local dealer to check on any existing or outstanding warranty issues or recalls specific to that vehicle. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to perform a thorough pre-purchase inspection prior to making your purchase.