Q: Car might have a transmission fluid leak

I was driving today and all of a sudden, I couldn't go forward. I peered under the car and I think that I might have a small transmission leak. I don't know how to check the transmission fluid level, or how to add any fluid. How can I check and see if the fluid is the problem?

It’s very possible that there was a failure within the automatic transmission on your vehicle. As you suspected, the first step would be to check the fluid level. If your fluid level is low, you can add some fluid to bring it up to the full level. Make sure to use the correct fluid for your transmission.

Then try test driving it to see if it moves forward normally. If it does, then you should get a quote to have the transmission leak fixed. If it doesn’t drive normally, or if the fluid level was already ok, then you will need to have the transmission operation checked by a qualified professional.

3. Car might have a transmission fluid leak