Q: Car makes metal-on-metal noise on startup

asked by on February 08, 2016

The car makes a noise that sounds like metal-on-metal when I start it up.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The most likely cause of the noise is starter motor gear clash, or the starter and flywheel. The fix is to remove the starter, replace it, and check the flywheel for any damage. Sometimes, the starter drive binds and causes the starter and flywheel to grind. I recommend having a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your car based on the noise you described.