Car makes a loud grinding noise when I try to start it, w...

Q: Car makes a loud grinding noise when I try to start it, would this be the starter or timing chain?

asked by on March 08, 2018

Car makes a loud grinding noise when I try to start it., The power steering pulley does not move at all. The A/C pulley turns real slow. Could this be a starter/flywheel problem or the timing chain has broken? The car was running fine before I shut it off.

You should try and turn the engine manually on front of crankshaft pulley to see if engine is seized. If engine turns over by hand then problem will most likely be the starter. If you cannot turn motor then it is an internal engine problem.