Q: Car likes to make a chugging noise when accelerating up a steep hill. It usually happens around 55 mph.

asked by on November 17, 2016

Whenever I am driving up a steep hill and accelerate to 55 the car starts to chug, I had my mechanic check the transmission And said he haven't seen any problems.

Hi there:

In many cases, when your Malibu begins to struggle when you’re climbing a hill it’s more of an indicator of fuel system issues; such as a clogged fuel injector nozzle or dirty throttle body. It could also be an emission system component like the EGR valve that is causing the inconsistent or chugging issues. Sometimes simply cleaning these components will improve the overall efficiency of your engine. However, to be certain, you might want to contact a local mobile mechanic and have them complete an inspection on the rough running engine.