Q: My A/C only blows cold on recirculate

My evaporator tube clogged flooding the passenger side, I unclogging it I noticed the A/C only blows cold when on recirculate but luke warm on normal or outside air. A/C Refrigerant is fine.

A: Hello. You will always get colder air when ...

Hello. You will always get colder air when on recirculate. When taking in the outside air the A/C system will be able to drop the temperature coming in by about 20 to 30 degrees. This means if the outside air is 95 degrees, then the coldest you will get coming out of your vents is about 65 degrees (Fahrenheit).

When on recirculate you keep using the air inside the cab and will still lower the inlet temperature by 20 to 30 degrees, but you will get a lower drop as the system runs since the inlet air may get to 65 degrees and your vent temperature can get down to about 40 degrees.

If you are low on Freon even by a little, you will not get the full temperature drop and may only get a 15 or 20 degree drop or less. Have the system pressures checked with a gauge set to see if the system needs a little Freon. If you would like to have this checked, a qualified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the AC system for you.