Q: Car ran out of gas

asked by on February 03, 2016

My car ran out of gas and won't start. I think I need my fuel injection serviced.

Fuel Pump Replacement $129.49 - $1235.95 Get a Quote

If your vehicle ran out of gas, and after adding gas it still doesn’t start, you may have burned out the fuel pump. The fuel pump in most cars is housed in the gas tank. It lives submerged in the fuel. The cold nature of gasoline helps keep the electronics in the pump cool when it is running. When the vehicle runs out of fuel, the pump tends to overheat. It is the overheating that damages it. This happens also to people who continuously run their vehicles very low on gasoline. A fuel pressure test can determine if this is in fact the cause of the no start. I suggest seeking help from a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you correctly diagnose this issue and replace your fuel pump if needed.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr