Q: Car is burning antifreeze

My car is overheating and I can smell antifreeze. I've had to add antifreeze twice and sometimes I see smoke coming out from under the hood. I suspect it might be the thermostat.

A: If your car is overheating, smelling like c...

If your car is overheating, smelling like coolant, and always in need of coolant, then those are signs that you may have a coolant leak somewhere. The smoke you are seeing may be antifreeze leaking out onto hot parts of the engine, and evaporating into steam. As cooling system problems can potentially lead to other serious problems, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the vehicle for coolant leaks and make the necessary repairs for you.