Q: Car won't start

asked by on September 24, 2016

So I was driving home from work and I shift into 3rd gear release clutch and try to accelerate but car wouldn't. So I put in neutral and looked at gauges. Nothing out of ordinary but car was off. Our of nowhere my car decided to stop running. I didn't hear any weird noises nothing. So I got it towed home and I've been told to check my distributor. So I did. I first checked a spark plug to see if I had spark. No spark so I went to the coil inside my distributor it sparks..... But but my rotor isn't turning. Battery is pretty much dead could that be why? I need help. I've been missing work because of this. Any advice will do. Thanks in advance!

Hello. If you are able to "turn over" the engine (using, say, the starter motor) but the distributor rotor is stationary, that means the gear on the distributor shaft is sheared off. However, you are also indicating that the battery is dead which would mean that you cannot engage the starting system. This would mean that you need to first get the starting system functioning properly, and once it is operational, diagnose the fuel and or ignition system problem(s) which is preventing your car from starting. If you are finding that you need help with this, a professional from YourMechanic can assess your cars inability to start issue.