Q: have a 96 miata that i am trying to restore. It will not go into reverse nor will it shift it second gear when driving. It is an a

the car will not go into reverse nor shift into second gear when driving

Hi Tim. Thanks for sending your question to us today. There could be a few different issues causing this problem, ranging from a damaged shift solenoid to an obstruction of debris inside the transmission hydraulic lines. A blown inner seal can also create these shifting symptoms. If you’re restoring the Miata, it’s probably best to remove the transmission and have it rebuilt anyway - as inner transmission damage will likely occur sooner than later if not rebuilt.