Q: Car independently accelerated and brake did not work - 2013 Lexus RX450H

I was in a parking lot and backing out of the space. All the sudden and without any warning, my car started independently accelerating and speeding up; my brake would not work. Finally, I was able to stop the car by putting it into Park. The stop was very abrupt and I didn’t even realize the sound was my hitting something. This same thing happened about ½ a month ago, but fortunately I did not hit anything that time. What is causing this trouble and how do I find the solution?

Hi there, thank you for asking about your 2013 Lexus RX450H. This behavior is known as unintended acceleration, and your model is included in an expanding multi-district litigation on this issue against Toyota. Check the news frequently about this action or any recalls. I would recommend getting in touch with your local dealer for further assistance with this. Your dealer might not be discussing this issue at the moment, but for safety, it’s important to have the car fixed before driving it again.

3. Car independently accelerated and brake did not work - 2013 Lexus RX450H