Q: car hesitation in 1st and 2nd gears , its totally fine in higher gears . hesitation means light jerks , what's the issue?

scotty my honda civic 2003 sedan hesitates while in 1st and 2nd gear , by hestitating i mean light jerks when i press accelerator and releases clutch , but its fine in high gears. suppose i m driving at 15KM/H in 1st gear , and release the accelator and then press again , the car hesitate a little (light jerks) one or two times and then it will run fine after one or two jerk . aand it does this only in 1st gear and 2nd , NOT in high gear , kindly advise. Thanks

A: Hi there. You may be having an engine misfi...

Hi there. You may be having an engine misfire since it is only when you are accelerating. The misfire may be due to worn spark plugs or the ignition system coil failing. The ignition system includes the spark plugs, wires, and coils which need to be checked for signs of failure. I recommend having the engine completely diagnosed and scanned for codes to see what is causing the misfire in the engine. You may only need a tuneup or may need more ignition components. I recommend having a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect for trouble codes and replace any failing components.