Q: How does the rearview camera work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How does the rearview camera work?

Your SUV may be equipped with a rearview camera (it’s optional equipment). If so, it provides you with a significant amount of safety by delivering a view of what’s behind your car right on the center screen or rearview mirror (depending on whether you have the navigation system or not). Here’s how the system works:

1. Put your foot on the brake.
  2. Crank the engine.
  3. Release the parking brake.
  4. Put the car in reverse to activate the rearview camera (it only works in reverse).
  5. The video feed will be displayed in your navigation screen or in your rearview mirror.
  6. Use the video feed and look behind you to back up safely.

Tips

• Always look behind you. Never rely solely on the rearview camera.

• The rearview camera cannot show you items close to or below the level of the rear bumper.

• The screen is color coded in order of proximity. Red is closest, followed by yellow and green.

• The image in the rearview mirror or on the navigation screen will stay on briefly after shifting out of reverse.