Q: Had timing chains replaced, check engine light continues to come on

Dealer replaced timing chains 6 weeks ago. When got car back, it smelled of oil, ran like a Mac truck, was noisy, and stopped 3 times on the road with no power whatsoever. Took back to dealer, they said they put in a bad gasket. And the car was 2 quarts low on oil...even though I get regular oil changes when car tells me to. They fixed everything for free at this point. About 3 weeks later engine light comes back on as we are leaving for major trip....took to dealer...they replace exhaust solenoid for free as they said they moved it to put on timing chains. On my trip 90 minutes later, engine light comes back on....what is going on? I can't trust this vehicle! A car with 108,000 miles should not be acting this way.

A: If the Check Engine Light has come on, I ...

Hello.

If the Check Engine Light has come on, I would take the vehicle back to the dealership and have them take care of the issue. As all of your issues only began after their major service, they should be take care of any issues that arise, as they are likely related to the work that they did. I would take the vehicle back with the specific details you provided us with, and have the dealership try to determine what the issue is.

If you’d like a second opinion on the issue, feel free to contact one of our mobile technicians who can come to you and diagnose your Check Engine Light firsthand.