Q: Car has trouble shifting.sometimes the "D" in the dashboad display will dissappear and the car will then rev to 3000 to 4500 rpm.

My 2010 VW jetta wolfsburg edition has a shifting issue. When you first drive for about 5 to 10 minutes, the car will shift smooth but after that the "D" in the dashboard will go away and the RPMs will will get betweet 4000 to 5000 before the car finally shifts. This is shifting from 1st to 2nd. You have to turn the car off and then back on to get the shifting working again. There is also a clicking sound when i slow down....has anyone else experienced this or know what the problem might be?

What you are describing may be a result of a faulty speed sensor, potentially low transmission fluid or a even a faulty transmission control solenoid. As your vehicle travels down the road, the computer analyzes data being sent by vehicle speed sensors and engine speed sensors. Based on this information, the Engine Control Unit (ECU), or the Transmission Control Unit (TCM), executes the appropriate upshifts and downshifts by sending a signal to one of several shift solenoids. These transmission solenoids have spring-loaded plungers inside them, which are wrapped with wire. When this coil of wire receives an electrical charge from the TCM / ECU, it causes these plungers to open, allowing transmission fluid to flow into the valve body and pressurize the desired clutches and bands. When this happens, the transmission changes gears and you continue down the road. The computer controls the transmission solenoid in several ways. If the vehicle is equipped with a dedicated Transmission Control Unit, it can open or close the hydraulic circuit using a direct 12v signal. In some cases, the Engine Control Unit (ECU) can control the solenoid’s plunger by turning the ground circuit on and off. When this is not working properly, this can cause a jerking reaction, a delay in shifting or in some cases may cause the transmission to hesitate in shifting gears. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.

• Car has trouble shifting.sometimes the "D" in the dashboad display will dissappear and the car will then rev to 3000 to 4500 rpm.