Q: Non-ethanol fuel

asked by on July 30, 2017

ok i have a 2003 ford f150 xlt 4.2 liter v6 i have 2 14 inch electrical fans and 1 16 inch fan and a k&n intake system as well as headers and a jet performance module and 32 inch tires and 4 inch body lift ok my question i just put 25.00 of non ethanol fuel into my truck and thus is thr 1st time using it. will my truck b ok?

Hi There, Your truck should run just fine with non-ethanol fuel and in fact may run a bit better with pure non-ethanol fuel. Many of today’s engines are equipped to run on E85 fuel which is a high ethanol content fuel. The vehicle’s engine control module measures the amount of ethanol in the gasoline and adjusts the air/fuel mixture ratio on the fly depending on this alcohol measurement. 100% gasoline is mixed at a 14.7/1 air/fuel ratio, while E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) is mixed at a 9.8/1 air/fuel ratio. The car adjusts between these two ratios depending on the ethanol content of the fuel (which can range from 0-85%). Your truck’s computer will adjust accordingly for the proper fuel mixture.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr