Q: Car gets hot

The car gets hot on the interstate but only after you reach 70mph or more and when the cat is at an idle it does not get hot but if you take the cap off the resevore the coolant just pours out now my question is. Does that mean I have a blockage?

This can be caused by a number of things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, or a failing coolant fan switch. As you may know the coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. When you take the cap off, the coolant will naturally want to come out due to the intense pressure build up from the heat. If you’d like to have this fixed, I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling system and help you make the necessary repairs.

3. Car gets hot