Q: Q: Car does not turn on

The key for my car broke in half the man tried with pliers to turn it on with half of the key afternoon many tries with the pliers the turned on and I drove it home. I went to the dealer and got a replacement key made. When I tried the key into the switch the only thing that happened was the lights and air came on but it did not turn the car on. I am not exactly sure why the car does not start. We tried giving energy to the battery but that didn't work. The battery is fine. And the key goes into the switch and turns the air and lights on but it will not go pass that to turn the car on

There is more going on with the Mercedes Key than simply turning a switch. There is a micro transponder in the key, and there is an antenna in the ring around the key hole so when the key is inserted into the switch, the key and the car do a little electronic handshake before the starter is enabled.

If your Mercedes dealer made a key, they should have programmed it correctly. The procedure for reprogramming requires that the car be in the shop when the key is made. They have special computer equipment and software to do this job that is not available in the aftermarket to prevent car thieves from being able to make keys. I suggest you contact the dealer about having the key reprogrammed

If you’d like a second opinion on this, YourMechanic can send a mobile technician to your home to diagnose the starting issue firsthand and suggest what to do from there.

3. Q: Car does not turn on