Q: Grinding noise while driving

I'm getting a grinding noise when I'm driving. I'm thinking it's the wheel bearing hub--does this sound right to you?

A: That sounds about right and here is a good ...

That sounds about right and here is a good way to test it:

Go down a road on a Sunday morning, early when there is hardly anybody around, and go around 45-50 mph, gradually going to the left and right. If you gradually go to the left and the grinding quiets down, that means the right bearings are worn because you are loading the left bearing and taking away from the right. The same will work in vice versa, If you go to the right and the noise quiets down, that means that the left side bearings are going bad.

If you can't tell if it's the left front or the left rear bearing, get somebody to sit in the back. Let them listen and help you figure out which one it is.