Q: My 1997 toyota camry has a knocking noise coming from the engine what could the problem be

asked by on July 28, 2017

There is a loud knocking noise coming from my engine what could it be

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The first thing I would recommend is to check your oil level. A low oil level can cause the engine to make loud knocking noises such as what you are hearing. If the oil is low, it is very possible that a leak exists. The most common places for oil to leak are the valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket although the oil drain plug or filter could be leaking as well. I would recommend an oil/fluid leak inspection to determine the exact source of the leak should you determine it is low. Consider YourMechanic as this inspection can be completed at your home or office.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr