Q: Car dies when shifting to drive.

Car dies when you shift to drive. No issues with Idling, and you are able to shift to reverse, neutral, and low and high with no problems. As soon as you shift to Drive there is a loud clank from the engine and it dies immediately. I am leaning towards a transmission issue, but need some professional advice.

Hi Jhad. There are several issues that can cause this problem. The most common is that there is an obstruction of fluid in the transmission hydraulic lines or an inner seal failure that can cause additional drag on the motor and cause it to stall. However this usually masks an existing issue with fuel system components like fuel injectors, throttle body or mas air flow sensors that are dirty and need to be cleaned or replaced. The first step is to check the transmission fluid or have transmission fluid service completed. If this resolves the problems you are having - fantastic. If not, the most common faults are the torque converter, Idle air control valve, vacuum leaks, or a wiring harness failure.

3. Car dies when shifting to drive.