Q: Can a cracked fuel line/pipe cause an o2 sensor to go bad?

Hi can a cracked fuel line/pipe cause an o2 sensor to go bad? I just took my car to the shop (again) bc the there was smoke from the engine when stopped. The dealership told me that it was a cracked fuel pipe and a bad o2 sensor. I think the two issues are related, but I am not a mechanic so I don't know for sure. Please help bc I am spending $320 to have the sensor fixed which I know is not an expensive part but I need it fixed now. They are covering the fuel pipe bc it must be under their warranty as I've only driven 9000 miles since their "fixed fuel pipe".

Hello, thank you for writing in. The fuel line being cracked is going to cause issues with the way the engine runs, and a lean or rich air/fuel mix will cause the oxygen sensors to detect the difference in carbons in the exhaust fumes. These two issues are likely related. The sensor may not be bad, but there is no way to tell without further testing, which the shop may have already done. However, replacing the O2 sensors is rather easy, and that charge does seem rather steep, especially if the sensor will ready normal once the fuel issue is resolved. You may want a second opinion. For more help from our technicians, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Can a cracked fuel line/pipe cause an o2 sensor to go bad?