Q: I have a 2005 Ford Mustang and it won't go past 20 miles per hr. There are no lights on sayings what should be checked and no nois

asked by on June 29, 2017

My mustang won't accelerate pass 20mph what could be the problem ?

Car is slow to accelerate Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Usually when the vehicle will not accelerate past 20 mph it is due to the ECU creating an error code that activates the "limp mode". This safety system is designed to reduce vehicle speed when an error is detected in the driveline system, ranging from transmission problems to axle or drive shaft problems. In most cases it will be accompanied by a check engine or warning light being illuminated on the dashboard. As such, since there appear to be no warning lights on your Mustang dash, it’s probably best to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is slow to accelerate inspection to determine what’s causing this issue.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr