Q: Car hesitating and surging while accelerating

My car is stalling, hesitating, and surging when accelerating. It's also having trouble idling.

The main cause of this car running rough is likely the distributor. Over time, the electronics in the distributer start to fail, and need to be replaced. The most common time for failure is around 150,000 miles. You should have the codes on the computer checked with a scan tool. If it is the distributor, you will probably get a misfire code, and nothing else. It could also be a fuel injector, crank sensor, spark plugs, or wires. I would recommend having a technician check the codes, and perform a tune up on the vehicle after running a thorough diagnosis of your car’s hesitation issue.

3. Car hesitating and surging while accelerating