Q: car overheated.fixed cylinderhead gasket replaced sparks n wires cant get it running

asked by on February 13, 2017

I cant get it to run. it cranks and sparks. fuel pressure i beleive is fine. new spark plugs new wires.new head gasket and timing is correct.i cant figure it out.

Hello, thank you for writing in. When the engine overheats to a certain point, there is damage done to the engine that is irreversible. The biggest concern is that inside of the engine, the pistons can heat up to the point they break off, snap off their rods, or fuse themselves into the cylinder walls. The gaskets and the o-rings that hold in the oil and coolant will deteriorate and allow the fluids to mix, making the issue even worse. From where you are with the repair, check to make sure the engine is not bound up. Then look into making sure you have compression. Check all of your fluid levels and condition. Take corrective action from there, or resort to further testing. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

The only three things that an engine needs to run are compression, fuel, and ignition. If you are certain that the fuel pressure is within specification and that the spark plugs are all firing, I would then recommend a compression test. This test will enable you to determine if the head gasket replacement went as planned. You may find a compression leak near one of the cylinders. Unfortunately, it is possible that the head or the block could have been warped due to the overheating. In this case, the new head gasket will make no difference and new head, block, or entire engine may be required in order to resolve that issue.