Q: 2003 Acura MDX. The dealership says the oil pump seal is leaking, only 3/4 qt. of oil in the engine w/no leaks under the car...

asked by on November 14, 2017

My vehicle was making a ticking noise when it was cold upon start-up. I have not had any leaks on the driveway or garage floor. The dealership stated there was only 3/4 qt. of oil in the engine when they did the oil change. The oil light had not come on. They have stated the oil seal is leaking & needs to be replaced. How do I know for sure this is the issue?

Oil level is low Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Stan. Thanks for submitting the question. If an oil seal is damaged, the engine will lose a lot of oil over an extended period of time, but will not always leak on the ground. The ticking noise is commonly caused by low oil levels and comes from cylinder head hardware that is not properly lubricated. This issue will also not always trigger an oil pressure warning light. If you want to crawl underneath the engine and inspect the vehicle, you should see a significant amount of clumped oil and dirt located near the source of the leak. If it’s an oil seal, it’s likely the crankshaft seal, so the oil will be on the center front of the motor. You might want to get a second opinion by having a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an oil leak inspection.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr