Q: Car cannot go into gear

I was wondering if it's worthwhile to fix the issue on my car or just get another one. The car cannot go past 15 mph. The shifting itself works, but it cannot go into gears. The other day I was able to drive it briefly, after it sat for a few hours. However, during driving, all lights on the gear selector started to blink.What should I do?

A: Hi there. Thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there. Thanks for writing in about your 2001 Audi A8 Quattro. This symptom can be caused from a range of systems, including a transmission failure, a new valve body needed, or an external electronic component that could be interfering with proper functioning. I would strongly recommend getting it diagnosed before making any decisions about keeping it vs. selling it. If you want to have this checked in person, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose your car's shifting issue.