Q: Can you tell me how the tachcometer numbers correspond to how many miles one is driving? Thank you.

asked by on October 04, 2016

Our Altima is too old to get parts to fix speedometer which has gone out. They tried a new Sensor but no help. Nissan can't get circuit panel or parts needed to repair. We were told we could gauge our driving speed by the Tachcometer numbers. Can you tell us what speeds the numbers may correspond to?. For example 1 = 15 miles per hour. We would only need the speeds up to about 60 miles per hour for the Tachcometer. Thank you so much.

Hello. There are problems with trying to do this type of estimating of speed by a tachometer. The tachometer changes with gear and road speed. You could have someone cruise at certain speeds next to you or match speeds with someone to try and assess the tachometer reading for speed.