Q: Can't stop when pressing the brake pedal

The brake pedal is not allowing me to stop. In addition, the RPMs are idling between 1,000 and 2,000 when the car is in park.

It sounds as though your brake booster, which facilitates power assist, is not operating. The brake booster operates from the engine vacuum; if the engine vacuum is leaking somewhere, then the power assist will not work, and your engine will rev higher to attempt to stay running. Typically, you will hear a hissing noise from the engine compartment or brake pedal with a vacuum leak. A visual inspection, and possibly a smoke test with a leak detection machine, would be required, in this case.

A diagnostic inspection of your brake system from a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can help determine the issue and find the best path to repair.