Q: Can't get to bat terminal bolt on starter

I need to replace the starter but can barely get to it. I tried removing the part of the exhaust sitting on top but there's a sensor connected to that and I can't get IT off without breaking the thing. Diesel mechanic here so not used to work in tiny spaces for everything. Any suggestions?

A: Hey there. Thanks for writing in. My knuckl...

Hey there. Thanks for writing in. My knuckles feel your pain, as I had this same problem a few weeks ago with an Acadia. In order to get to the starter bolts I had to remove the left side catalytic converter first. This required me to pick up an O2 Sensor socket so I could take that sensor off first. That socket is basically a 7/8th's with an insert that supports the O2 sensor. WD40 really came in handy as well in helping to loosen it up at first.

Once the O2 sensor is out of the way, removing the catalytic converter should be rather simple, then you can get to the starter bolts pretty easy. If you're not finding any luck with this method, or would like a professional to get this done for you, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to replace your car's starter.

Recommended services
Get a Quote