Q: Can a 2010 town have a bad cylinder wall?

asked by on March 05, 2017

I have a 2010 town & country touring with 123,000 miles on it. It's been a good van & is still in good condition except for a recent diagnosis of low compression in cylinder 4. My research indicates the 4.0 is a less common engine. The 2010 model had 3 or 4 engine offerings. I contacted Jasper to inquire about a reman engine & they said the cylinder walls were notoriously thin on these & they hadn't found a way to reliably remanufacture them so it isn't offered. With that information I would much rather try & source the 3.8 liter that Chrysler used to revamp their engine line. Is it practical to replace the 4.0 with the newer, more readily available 3.8 liter? Would any wiring or programming changes make it impractical? What would need to be done for this swap?

The newer engines of the 3.8 liter line can be installed into the van as long as the wiring harness and computer comes with it for the VVT system. If you need further assistance with your engine swap, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.