Q: Can 1 man replace a fuel pump and sending unit, clean out sludge and particles from fuel tank in about 1 hour? Think I was scammed

Mobile mechanic worked on my 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer (had been stored for a couple years and tank was virtually empty). He claims he dropped tank, cleaned all gunk and particles from tank, replaced fuel pump and sending unit, all in about 1 hour. He filled up the tank...supposedly, so I can't tell if it's working right or not ( On empty it was reading 3/4 of a tank). I prepaid for the pump and work and I don't believe he did anything. I know he didn't drop the gas tank because there are still plenty of spider webs connecting car bumper to the gas tank.i think I was ripped off and he didn't replace anything. Is it possible for 1 man to replace a fuel pump in 1 hour, all without having the key to the car? It was locked at the time.

To drop the fuel tank on your model, and immediately re-install the tank (without any cleaning or service) would require about 2 to 3 hours in total for an experienced professional if a lift is available. The fuel pump itself can be installed without removing the tank but to do that you must have access to the inside of the car because the pump is removed through an access panel under the rear seat. Also, you can’t drop the tank without access to the inside of the car because to drop the tank the wiring harness has to be disconnected and that connection is only accessible from inside the car. So, if the car was locked, obviously no work was performed on the vehicle. YourMechanic does offer these services and you can start by requesting fuel pump replacement. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Can 1 man replace a fuel pump and sending unit, clean out sludge and particles from fuel tank in about 1 hour? Think I was scammed