Q: Brakes intermitently mushy

The past few months, my brake pedal has been going to the floor randomly while braking. It doesn't always happen. I was recently in the car roaming around for a quarter hour, stopping often, and I couldn't make it happen. The fluid level looks fine. Today, it happened several times. After it had sat for a while, it felt like the brake pedal was mushy when I first put on the brakes. I drove it around. Of course, the problem disappeared. What's going on? If my master cylinder is going bad, would it be intermittent like this?

Hello. It sounds like there could be an intermittent master cylinder condition.

The master cylinder acts as a pump for the brake system. In the master cylinder, the valves or diaphragm could get stuck, collapse, or not open properly, causing an intermittent problem. It is also possible that complete failure of the master cylinder has occurred.

Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come out to diagnose your issue and replace the master cylinder.

3. Brakes intermitently mushy