Q: Car will turn over but won't start after over heating. Coolant was boilng over, white smoke from exhaust.

asked by on March 24, 2017

There was white smoke or steam coming from the drivers side where the coolant reservoir is, i opened the hood and noticed it was boiling over and had a strange smell. Prior to that, I was sitting at a red light, and the car over heated and the oil light came on.. Prior to that I noticed white smoke came from the exhaust when I started it this morning. Now it turns over but will not fully start.

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. Several things will need to be done, or can be done, to help diagnose the issue. Start by having the vehicle scanned for diagnostic codes, checking the oil, and checking the coolant. Both fluids are heavily effected by overheating, and the oil in particular can cause issues with the engine running and starting. Use any diagnostic codes to help direct you towards the issue. If none are present, you will want to inspect the coolant system. The white smoke that you have been seeing means the coolant had been leaking, or had been overheating prior. Check for leaks and other damages. Make sure the coolant is filled and the oil is fresh and full before you do any more work or testing. If the temperature got over 260 degrees major engine damage may have occurred, and repairs may be extensive. We must find the cause of the overheating and correct that issue first. From there we can work on making sure the engine is okay and getting it to start. For more help with this process, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.