Q: Noise coming from transfer case. Not coming out of 4 wheel drive quadra drive II.

asked by on February 26, 2017

My 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee is not coming out of 4 wheel drive and after investing, I discovered a noise coming out of my transfer case. I changed the fluid but still has noise. Could the motor be the culprit? A new transfer case is expensive and I am looking for anything else it could be. It is a NV245 transfer case. Thanks in advance.

Hello. We will be happy to assist you. The issue your vehicle is having will be best pinpointed by technician. I suggest that you have a technician perform an inspection of your four wheel drive system to help find the cause of your noise. Normally when a transfer case makes noise it means that there’s internal damage and the transfer case must be replaced. A technician with a stethoscope will be able to trace the noise and where it is found to be loudest will be the part at fault. A transfer case for your vehicle should not be over 200 dollars if you can find it locally. A few months ago a lady came into my shop with a 2006 Jeep Liberty that had a bad transmission and transfer case. We were able to find her a transmission and transfer case from LKQ Pick Your Part for about $400. Keep in mind that you can find a technician to inspect your 4WD system here https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/loud-noises-when-car-is-put-in-gear-inspection