Q: Brake system is not working properly.

My brakes are also not work. There is brake fluid in my car but I do need tie rods replaced for both front left and right inner. Could that have anything to do with my brakes not working properly?

Hello there, you have several different faults going on with your 1997 Nissan Altima. The brakes not working properly is a large problem and the vehicle should not be driven until the brakes are in proper working order.

If the brakes do not work at all there are a few common faults such as a failed master cylinder, air in the brake fluid, failed brake booster, or a fluid leak in the brake system. The tie rods do not effect brake performance but are another safety issue that should be replaced as soon as possible if they are bad.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, a qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your brake system and make any repairs required.