Q: What Are Xenon HID Headlight Bulbs?

What are Xenon HID headlight bulbs?

Xenon headlights are used in lights called HID (High Intensity Discharge lights). These lights do not use a traditional filament to provide the light but instead use xenon gas to produce the light. They provide more light output for better night vision but are not compatible with the original light sockets on your vehicle. You will need to purchase a kit to install or have them installed. They are factory installed on some vehicles, mostly high end cars, and are available as an add on or upgrade from aftermarket suppliers.

These light kits require a ballast assembly to run the lights which needs to be properly wired into the light system. This is a job that can be done by yourself but is best done by a professional due to the wiring of the HID’s, as it is not compatible with your original harness. They are considerably more expensive to buy and install than other forms of lighting available as well.

While these lights are growing in popularity you should consider what your overall outcome expectations are before replacing or installing these lights. You should also consider the quality of the headlight kit when purchasing these lights.

3. What Are Xenon HID Headlight Bulbs?