Q: Brake problems

How would you be able to tell if your brake lines are bad? I recently purchased a Ford Ranger and the brakes are basically non existent. There was no brake fluid in the reservoir and after filling and pumping the pedal I didn't see any leaks. The pedal did get harder to push and stops the truck a little but it still goes to the floor.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. In order to dete...

Hi, thanks for writing in. In order to determine if your brake lines are functioning properly I would recommend having a brake inspection performed by a certified technician. This inspection will be able to tell if your brake lines have rusted through causing a leak or if your brake hoses are leaking. This brake inspection will also be able to tell you if your brake pads are thin if your rotors are in good condition and if your calipers are performing as they should be. Once this inspection is done you will be able to decide on the correct repair procedure for the brakes on your vehicle. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.