Q: Check engine light on and recurring P0455

asked by on June 23, 2016

First, the Check Engine light came on and it was a recurring engine code P0455 (Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected). When driving back home, my car wouldn’t stay in gear. When not catching, it would only rev and I couldn’t get it to shift into Drive or Reverse. The only way I could get it to shift into gear was to turn off the car and then turn it back on. I barely made it home. A bit more info for you: two months ago, the fluid was changed. At present, the fluid smells like burning fluid and it is a dark color. Can you please explain the problem to me and tell me what to do?

Fuel is leaking from gas tank Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The P0455 code that you are getting in the computer is a different issue than the transmission. Most of the time it is caused by a bad gas cap or a leak in the system. If the gas cap is fine, then a smoke test would need to be done to locate the leak.

As for the transmission issue, it sounds like the transmission is failing. If the fluid was changed recently, they should have reset the computer for the new fluid. That can affect the way that the transmission shifts. If the fluid is already really dark and smells burnt, then you will more than likely need to have the transmission rebuilt. You would need a transmission specialist for this.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr