Q: Brake pedal is going almost to the floor

The truck has all new brakes front rotors and calipers system is well bled with all this being done the brake pedal goes almost to the floor before it stops the truck. Do you think it is the master cylinder or can you help.

Thanks Joe

One of the most common causes of the brake pedal going to the floor is a loss of brake fluid. Generally, this is easy to detect due to the fact that there is usually brake fluid leaking on the ground underneath the vehicle. The brake booster is a mechanism that uses vacuum pressure to take the force being applied to the brake pedal and amplify it. If the booster is bad, then the full amount of force needed to activate the master cylinder and pressurize the brake fluid isn’t going to be there. The pedal will go all the way to the floor and the car will be harder to stop.

Another possible cause for this may be a failing master cylinder. The master cylinder is where the brake fluid is compressed creating the necessary hydraulic pressure the braking system needs in order for it to stop your vehicle. When the master cylinder fails, this may cause a loss of hydraulic pressure which will usually also cause the brake pedal to go to the floor. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your braking system.

3. Brake pedal is going almost to the floor