Q: Battery or cables or what? 1998 Dodge Dakota

I go to start my truck & all the lights work the radio works wipers work.but I go to start it & all I get is a clicking sound. If I jump it it starts & I have no problem for a couple of days then it does it again. We just had the alternated checked & nothing is wrong with it. Please help! We are on a very fixed income & desperate! Thank you vickie

A: Hello there, many common faults will cause ...

Hello there, many common faults will cause your 1998 Dodge Dakota to crank but not start. Given than your car starts fine when jump started, the fuel system is unlikely to be the cause. Leaving the starting system and the battery as the most likely causes.

The first step will be to load test the battery, to see if it is has enough power to start the car. Other possible causes are the ignition switch, battery cables, battery terminals, or the crankshaft position sensor. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your car starting issue and perform any repairs required to resolve this.