Q: Bmw 318i overheating problem. Fan, thermostat alright and no coolant leak. Noticed thin white smoke at idle as car overheated.

asked by on November 29, 2017

Just bought a second hand bmw 318i. Was parked for 2 years. Runs fine. It has an overhating problem. It would drive fine on for a few rides but then would start overheating. Checked fan, thermostat and coolant leak but all is fine. Noticed thin white smoke from exhaust the last time it overheated. Am worried that it may be a blown head gasket althougu engine oil clouring seemed fine. Please advise

It is possible that you could have a restriction in the radiator causing a hot spot. I would recommend having your radiator checked with an infrared temperature gauge to determine if any spots on the radiator are significantly hotter than others. If any hot spots are found on the radiator, it is very likely that a restriction exists and this is what is causing the overheating. If there are restrictions in the radiator I would recommend having the radiator replaced in order to resolve this issue.. Consider YourMechanic as radiators can be replaced at your home or office.