Q: I have coolant in my lower intake manifold after replacing the gasket in my upper manifold in my 1996 Chevrolet Suburban.

asked by on June 09, 2017

I'm changing the intake manifold gaskets on my 96 suburban. The issue is that the old gasket blew open and all the coolant/ some oil poured into the lower intake manifold. It's a mess down there. Am I wasting time trying to clean it up? How clean does it need to be? Should I replace the manifold entirely?

Hi there. If you have coolant in your lower manifold also then at the very minimum you need to blow it out with compressed air. I would recommend removing the lower manifold also to make sure that you get it completely clean. If you do not then you can cause some serious internal engine damage.