Q: battery light and a whining noise at start up means what?

the other day I started my car and it had a whining noise that lasted the whole trip, then yesterday when driving the red battery light came on. The whining noise is still happening also.

The battery light is an indication that something in your charging system is not working properly such as a weak battery (usually noticeable with a weak start), a failing alternator or a bad voltage regulator. The whining sound may be the alternator failing which is common when this happens. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your charging system.