Q: battery light and a whining noise at start up means what?

the other day I started my car and it had a whining noise that lasted the whole trip, then yesterday when driving the red battery light came on. The whining noise is still happening also.

A: The battery light is an indication that som...

The battery light is an indication that something in your charging system is not working properly such as a weak battery (usually noticeable with a weak start), a failing alternator or a bad voltage regulator. The whining sound may be the alternator failing which is common when this happens. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your charging system.